Founded in 1895 in the northwestern New Jersey town of Asbury, Asbury Carbons has become a growing family of worldwide companies and a major supplier of natural and synthetic graphite, cokes, coals, and all carbon product, as well as a variety of raw materials used in a wide range of industries around the world. The original corporate location now serves as the home for the commercial offices for Asbury Graphite Mills, Inc., a Division of Asbury Carbons.
Housed in a renovated and expanded former residence, the company called on SSP to expand a neighboring circa 1895 historic home, and provide a connecting link between the structures. The former home was fully renovated and expanded to provide office and conference space, all in compliance with ADA requirements. A key component of the project was a connection between the renovated home and the existing Asbury Graphite headquarters facility, allowing the entire complex to become fully ADA compliant. To accommodate the increased workspace, a widened entry drive and parking at the rear of the building was provided for seventeen vehicles. The expansion was met with praise from local officials, who welcomed the chance to re-use the existing property and maintain the company within the county.